As a dedicated coffee lover and home barista, you’ve undoubtedly heard about the siphon coffee maker. It’s a classic brewer that’s been helping people make great coffee for centuries, invented by Loeff of Berlin in the 1830s. Using siphon coffee makers is one of the most intricate and fun ways to brew coffee. It allows users to be more involved in each brew, giving you more chances to dial in almost any variable in the process, from brewing temperature to the steeping time, producing quality and consistent coffee.
Although it’s been around for almost two centuries, it’s recently trending in the world of homebrewing as more people are looking for new ways to spice up their morning cup of coffee.
If you’re considering buying a siphon brewer, it can be overwhelming to decide which one’s the best for you. To narrow down your choices, here are the five best siphon coffee makers of 2020, giving you a new way to experience coffee.
Best Siphon Coffee Maker Products:
Siphon coffee makers have been around for centuries, providing coffee lovers a unique way of making their favorite brews. Although it’s been around for years, it’s recently making a come back popularity-wise in the homebrewing scene. If you’ve been looking for new ways to make coffee, siphon coffee makers are the way to go.
Here are the top five best siphon coffee brewers offered by trusted names in the coffee industry, helping you brew coffee the right way. These are their unique offerings for 2020, providing numerous features that every home barista or coffee connoisseur would love.
Our personal RATING
Hario’s Technica 5-cup siphon coffee maker is a perfect combination of science and craftsmanship, offering a truly one-of-a-kind brewing experience. The brewer doesn’t require electricity or battery to work, allowing you to make your favorite brews at home anytime. Although the product comes with an alcohol burner, you can use this siphon brewer with gas stoves, brewing up to 20 ounces of coffee at once.
Top-Quality Siphon Brewer
Hario is famous in Japan for making heat-resistant borosilicate glass for nearly a century, launching its first siphon brewer in 1964. Like with most of Hario’s products, the Technica is constructed using only the best quality materials, providing users with a brewer built to last.
More Control Over Each Brew
Like with the original siphon brewers, the Technica provides users with total control of the brewing process, providing you with the best cup of coffee tailored to your specific taste. This feature allows you to make your favorite brews just the way you like it every time.
Versatile Siphon Brewer
Besides brewing coffee, the Technica also allows you to brew a rich cup of tea. It also allows you to use it on stovetops, making it a flexible brewer in all aspects.
- The Hario Technica siphon brewer comes with an alcohol burner, washable cloth filter, and a measuring cup.
- Its 5-cup capacity makes it a perfect brewer for small families or coffee fanatics that want more.
- It’s manufactured, designed, and imported from Japan.
- It uses only top-quality materials, including upper bowl, lower bowl, and burner made from the best heat resistant borosilicate glass and fasteners made of brass.
- It requires no battery or electricity, as it’s 100% manually operated, giving you better control of each brew.
When classic brewers meet technology, you get KitchenAid’s automated siphon coffee maker. It’s a unique brewer that automates the manual vacuum coffee maker process, delivering rich and decadent brews at home in the easiest way possible. The science and complex flavors of siphon brewing comes from the vapor pressure pushing the water upwards the siphon tube, then the vacuum suction and gravity drawing the water down through the coffee grounds. KitchenAid has simplified the intricate process, giving you authentic siphon coffee showcasing your favorite coffee beans’ distinctive flavors.
Automated Siphon Brewing
This KitchenAid brewer simplifies siphoning coffee by offering an innovative automatic full immersion siphon brewing process that extracts every flavor of your favorite grounds with ease. It’s a modern machine that provides classic authentic siphon coffee, allowing you to enjoy hassle-free sophisticated coffee.
Stylish and High-Quality Siphon Brewer
KitchenAid used top-quality glass and stainless steel for this unique brewer, providing style, functionality, and durability in one brewer. Its unique design allows you to marvel in the full immersion vacuum brewing process, resulting in a complex and rich coffee at home.
Easy to Use
Unlike most traditional siphon coffee makers, the KitchenAid is relatively easy to use as all it takes to make a great brew is flipping a single switch. Place your favorite grounds in the brewer, flip the switch, and wait for a couple of minutes to get your freshly brewed coffee. It also features a built-in heating source, eliminating the need to heat liquid beforehand.
- This electric siphon coffee maker features a unique automated system, delivering fantastic brews through precise temperature and vacuum technology.
- All brews made from the product are bright, decadent, and delicious with a crisp, clean finish.
- It has a magnetic locking seal that securely fastens the brewing unit and carafe together.
- It doesn’t need a separate heat source.
- It comes with a cleaning brush, scooper, brew unit stand, lid, stainless steel, and cloth filter pack.
The Diguo Belgian royal family balance siphon brewer is a luxurious twist of the mid-18th century vacuum coffee maker, providing users with sophisticated brews at home. It follows the same brewing process of using gravitational energy, vapor pressure, and vacuum to help you brew a delicious coffee every time. The brewer boasts a unique design, allowing your family and guests to marvel in the beauty of brewing coffee, making it the centerpiece of any kitchen.
Bold and Robust Brews
The cloth filter only lets the tiniest and richest coffee ground particles to the final product, ensuring you only get the best quality and most potent brews. All drinks made with the brewer are clean, pure, aromatic, with no tones of bitterness.
Focal Piece of Any Kitchen
This vacuum coffee maker features a luxurious design, boasting a stainless steel exterior and a quality black wooden board base, making it a real conversation starter and centerpiece for any home kitchen. It allows you to make your favorite brews in style.
Straightforward Brewing Process
The product is easy to use. You only need to place a cloth filter on its head, add your favorite grounds, pour warm water, push down the balance lever, and light up the alcohol burner. Then wait for the coffee to finish brewing and serve it directly through the product’s built-in faucet.
- Its tank is removable, allowing for easier cleanup.
- The siphon brewer boasts a sleek and compact design, making it the perfect centerpiece for any kitchen.
- It’s powered using an alcohol burner, enabling users to make fantastic brews without the hassle of changing batteries or charging.
- All components of the products are dishwasher-friendly, making it easy to clean and maintain.
- It comes with free cloth filters, one measuring cup, and one scooper.
The Bodum PEBO stovetop siphon coffee maker is a unique brewer that features an incredibly efficient vacuum brewing method that extracts all the natural oils and flavors of your favorite grounds, providing rich and robust brews every time. You can view the entire brewing process through its heat-resistant glass bowls. Its simplistic style of brewing coffee doesn’t require an alcohol burner, cloth filters, or other trinkets. All you need is a filter, stovetop, and fresh coffee grounds.
Easy to Use and Clean
As a stovetop vacuum coffee maker, you don’t need to use alcohol burners or look for your butane cartridges. All you need is a decent stovetop and good coffee. Its plastic filter provides hassle-free washing and attachment, making the product easy to clean, use, and durable over time.
Great Build Quality
Bodum is known for its high-quality glass, and this brewer is no exception, boasting top-quality heat-resistant borosilicate glass bowls, providing you with exceptional coffee long-term. The upper chamber and lower chamber are firmly attached, keeping your brewing leak-free and accurate.
Small But Potent
The brewer is relatively small, only standing at 7.8 inches, but it allows you to create up to 8 cups of creamy and delicious espresso-sized brews per session. The 8-cup brewer will enable you to make 4 to 8 drinks between 4 to 11 minutes per session.
- Its exceptional vacuum technology extracts all the natural oils and flavors of your favorite coffee grounds.
- Its plastic components make the brewer easy to clean, manage, and use.
- It can produce 4 to 8 cups of authentic siphon coffee in just 5 to 11 minutes.
- This glass stovetop brewer boasts a premium borosilicate glass unit that’s 100% heat-resistant.
- No need to use an alcohol burner or cloth filters as the product can be used on stovetops and comes with a unique plastic filter.
The Boeng 5-Cup siphon coffee maker is a quality brewer that’s affordable, functional, and stylish, providing delicious siphon coffee with ease. Its butane burner offers consistent heat during the brewing process, keeping your caffeinated drink at its optimal temperature throughout the process. The product boasts a sturdy build quality despite it being on the cheaper side, having a heat-resistant glass brewing unit and polypropylene components.
The coffee maker provides a decent quantity of five cups per brewing session, perfect for serving 3 to 4 drinks, making it ideal for small families and gatherings. You can brew these cups in as little as 10 minutes or less.
Consistent Brews with Manual Operations
The product follows the same principles of old-school siphon brewing, giving you better controls over each brew. Its manual brewing process allows you to achieve consistent and personalized cups, enabling you to indulge in your preferred brews every time.
Long-Term Coffee Brewing
The product’s brewing unit is made from top-quality heat-resistant borosilicate glass and uses polypropylene for its other parts, making it a sturdy machine. These factors ensure long-term usage and allow you to enjoy quality brews longer.
- It can produce a maximum of five cups of coffee per brewing session in just a couple of minutes.
- Its handle allows you to hold and pour from its glass carafe after brewing, providing you with a more straightforward way of serving coffee.
- It comes with cloth filters, scooper, cotton wick, and stirrer.
- It boasts a high-quality and heat-resistant borosilicate glass brewing unit, producing decadent coffee long-term.
- Its manual operations allow you to have more control over each brew, allowing you to make your favorite caffeinated drink just how you like it every time.
What is a Vacuum Coffee Maker
Vacuum coffee makers are classic brewers that brew coffee using an attached top chamber and bottom chamber, leaving vapor pressure and gravity to work on producing quality coffee. These coffee makers are also known as siphon coffee makers and were invented by Loeff of Berlin in the 1830s. Since then, these brewers have been used throughout the world for over a century, providing coffee lovers quality brews and a one-of-a-kind brewing experience.
It follows immersion (letting the grounds steep within water for a specific period) and filtration (allowing the coffee grounds to go through a filter for a cleaner cup) brewing methods. However, the siphon coffee makers’ unique design provides a steeped, continual heated brew time, and speedy filtered extraction, delivering a more robust and smoother cup.
Although the original design and composition of the brewer consist of two chambers made of glass, it’s gone through several changes. However, generally, the chamber materials for vacuum coffee makers are usually made from borosilicate glass, metal, or plastic, with its filter being glass, metal, cloth filters, paper, or nylon.
When using a siphon brewer, you’ll need a source of heat, where most models use small butane burners or alcohol burners. However, some models boast modern features such as built-in heaters, no longer requiring a separate heating source. Besides a heating source, these brewers also need a filter, where most units come with a cloth filter. With all these in place, you can now brew your favorite cup of coffee.
Siphon coffee makers remain popular in some parts of Asia to this day, but it has fallen out of the modern brewing spectrum. However, recently, it’s gained traction among dedicated coffee lovers and home baristas, giving this iconic brewer a slow but gradual return.
What is Siphon Coffee
Siphon coffee is a specialty brew made using a classic but unique brewer known as the siphon or the vacuum coffee maker. It follows a brewing method that involves a process of mixing grounds with boiling water ascending from the flask through its tubes, extracting, and filtering the coffee. These processes are made possible because of the device’s vacuums and water vapor system, providing complex and balanced coffee at home.
Its full immersion-style brewing and use of a cloth, metal, plastic, or nylon filter results in brews often described as full-bodied, crisp, clean, and rich. It’s one of the unique specialty coffees that both coffee fanatics and casual drinkers would appreciate.
How Does a Siphon Coffee Maker Work
Siphon coffee makers, as their name indicates, operate as a siphon (any device involving the flow of liquids through U-shaped tubes), where the heating or cooling of the lower chamber changes the vapor pressure of the water. This sudden change in vapor pressure pushes the liquid into the upper section, allowing it to fall into the base chamber.
Generally, a siphon coffee maker’s principle is to heat water in its lower glass chambers until expansion forces the liquid through narrow tubes in the upper part holding the coffee grounds. This process increases temperature, where dense liquid transforms into a less dense version known as ‘water vapor gas,’ taking up more space and increasing pressure in the upper chamber.
When brewing, the small amount of liquid and water vapor remains in the lower chamber, keeping the area hot enough, allowing the pressure to support the siphon liquid content. When enough time has passed, the heat will gradually decrease alongside the pressure dropping on the bottom chamber. This motion allows the force of gravity and atmospheric pressure to push the liquid on the upper section into the lower part, through a filter and away from the grounds, finishing brewing.
Although you decant the finished brew from the lower chamber through a built-in faucet, most models need to require disassembling to pour out the coffee.
How to Use a Siphon Brewer
Siphon coffee was first introduced in the 1840s and has undergone numerous refinements. However, despite newer models coming out and some even being automated, one thing stays consistent with these brewers: producing crisp, clean, and delicious coffee. Although it can be challenging to use your siphon coffee maker initially, when you learn to master the craft, you’ll be enjoying your favorite brews at home with ease.
Here’s how you can use a classic siphon brewer using a butane or alcohol burner.
- Prepare your gear. These include your favorite coarse grounds, the best siphon coffee maker you can get, filter, burner filled with fuel, filtered water, and thermometer.
- Rinse and preheat your brewer’s bottom glass carafe or bowl with nearly boiling water.
- Place the filter into the upper chamber of the siphon and set it aside.
- Measure your preferred dose of coarse grounds.
- Fill the lower section of your brewer with boiling liquid right below its maximum level. Although you can use warm water and heat it using the burner, it can take longer.
- Grab your alcohol or butane burner, place it underneath the bottom chamber. At the same time, set the top part of the brewer and filter into the coffee maker’s base at a jaunty angle.
- Observe the liquid in the lower section and wait for it to boil. It’s best to place your thermometer in the top chamber during this time to ensure you achieve the optimal brewing temperature.
- When the liquid in the lower section starts to bubble, set the top part of the brewer in the bottom chamber base, and wait for the fluid to ascend into the upper chamber.
- You’ll want your siphon coffee maker to brew at around 200 degrees Fahrenheit, so if the top chamber continues to boil, try reducing the temperature by stirring the liquid.
- Add the grounds to the water in the top section while giving it an initial stir to saturate every bit of the coffee.
- Wait around 45 seconds to one minute to allow the grounds to degas and bubble in the top chamber. You can stir the grounds periodically if you want.
- You can also go past the one minute mark, depending on the coffee maker you’re using or your preferred taste.
- After one minute or when you see a clear line at the base of the grounds, it’s done brewing.
- Remove the alcohol or butane burner from the siphon and do one last cyclonic stir right before the ground coffee draws down, stimulating an even extraction. Doing this can create a vacuum effect, sucking all the coffee from the top into the bottom chamber, filtering as it descends.
- Remove the top chamber from the coffee maker, and allow the freshly brewed coffee in the lower section to cool, and serve.
How to Use a Siphon Coffee Maker
Because of siphon coffee makers’ popularization, some manufacturers have produced versions that allow you to brew grounds using the classic coffee maker using different heating sources, such as a stovetop.
Here’s how you can use a siphon coffee maker with a stovetop as its heating source.
- Soak your cloth filter in a warm water bath for at least five minutes.
- After five minutes, place the filter into the bottom of the brewer’s top chamber and hook the bottom of the chamber’s glass tubing.
- Fill the siphon’s bottom section with around hot water right below its maximum level.
- Insert the top component into the bottom chamber. You don’t need to apply too much pressure, but make sure it’s securely fitted in place.
- Position the assembled siphon coffee maker on top of a stovetop.
- While its content is heating, measure out between 20 to 25 grams of ground coffee.
- When the liquid starts to boil and rise into the top chamber, turn your stovetop down, allowing the content to reach a temperature between 185 to 195 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the 20 to 25 grams of grounds inside the brewer, submerging it gently with a butter knife or bamboo paddle.
- Let the coffee grounds brew undisturbed for one minute.
- After one minute, remove the coffee maker from the stovetop and give it around ten stirs using a stirrer.
- Allow the coffee to take one more minute to draw down and rest at the bottom chamber fully. You’ll know it’s ready when a dome of grounds has formed on top of the filter, or the brew at the lower section begins to bubble.
- After one minute or when the rest of the grounds draws down, remove the siphon from the top component.
- Pour the brew into a cup, and serve. For the best flavors and complex cup, give the drink one to a couple of minutes to cool.
The Coffee Quality from a Vacuum Coffeepot
Your cup of coffee will never taste the same again when you’ve tried making it using a siphon brewer. That’s because these devices are known to provide some of the highest quality brews possible, thanks to the coffee receiving consistent heating throughout the entire brewing process. Unlike other brewing methods that require you to pour preheated water over coffee grounds, siphon brewers get continuously heated.
Since temperature is one of the essential parts of brew quality, having a consistent heating source provides you with more control over each brew, ensuring you only get quality coffee every time. Both stovetop and standalone siphon brewers offer some of the best brews you can enjoy at home.
Is Siphon Coffee Better
Many coffee lovers would agree that siphon coffee is one of the best brews you can enjoy. Its unique brewing method provides a specialty brew that’s like no other, exhibiting crisp, fresh, delicious, and the cleanest coffee. However, besides producing quality brews, here are some of the reasons why siphon coffee is better.
- Best-Tasting Brews
One of the siphon brewers’ main advantages is that the liquid water never reaches the boiling temperature (212 °F), which often causes coffee to lose some of its natural oils and intricate flavors. Although it may seem like it’s boiling its liquid content when you use a vacuum brewer, it’s not. It’s just a few degrees shy of boiling. The coffee maker achieves this smoothly thanks to its unique heating source, an alcohol or butane burner usually calibrated to ensure the entire brewing cycle’s temperature remains constant.
Besides consistent temperature, another factor contributing to its one-of-a-kind flavor is the coffee’s aroma getting trapped inside the brewer’s chambers’, influencing the drink’s overall taste. This factor produces coffee that’s clean, crisp, and vibrant.
- Better Control Over Each Brew
Unlike modern brewers, the best siphon coffee makers allow users to have more control over different variables when brewing their favorite grounds. These include adjusting coffee strength by adding as much or as little grounds they like and brewing multiple cups at one time, depending on the brewer’s capacity.
- Unique Sensory Experience
A notable advantage of siphon coffee is its brewing process, as its unique transparent design allows you to marvel in the brewing cycle from start to finish. It piques the user’s visual interest, awakening your senses more than most modern drip coffee makers.
- Homemade Siphon Brewing
Several manufacturers have made siphon coffee readily available for most consumers, allowing anybody to enjoy quality brews at home. Although some models follow the same complicated brewing process of the original siphon brewer, some are simplified, allowing you to make your favorite caffeinated drinks with ease.
Siphon coffee makers are classic brewers that have been around for centuries, producing some of the best brews by combining immersion and filtration methods. These devices can make nicely balanced cups of your favorite caffeinated drinks, making it a classic favorite among most consumers. However, with the numerous models, brands, and designs, it can be challenging to see which one works best for your specific needs.
But when it comes to choosing the ‘best brewer,’ it all boils down to two things, including ease of use, and its ability to produce high-quality coffee, siphon brewers, are known for. Our top pick for the best siphon coffee maker is the Hario glass Technica Syphon coffee maker, 5-Cup. This brewer is the choice for so many coffee shops because when compared to its counterparts, it’s the one who’s capable of providing the highest and most consistent quality brews. It embodies an elegant design iconic to vacuum brewers without sacrificing functionality and great brews.
Take your brewing to the next level by indulging in the classics and invest in a siphon coffee maker today to get consistent, quality, and crisp brews like no other.
More Posts in this Category:
Ever since the introduction of the Starbucks blonde roast, many coffee aficionados have wondered what the famous blonde coffee is all about. It has taken
The French press brewing method is a favorite among avid coffee lovers, and many consider it one of the best ways to make coffee. However,
There are many remarkable things about Nespresso machines and the delicious cup of joe that they produce. One of the reasons that Nespresso is popular
If you’re looking for a convenient and luxe brewing experience, any coffee maker from Jura can be the perfect companion for you. The Swiss company
One of the easiest ways to level up your cup of coffee at home is by investing in a quality grinder. A good grind is
Are you a French Press coffee lover? Then you might be interested in grinding your own coffee beans for that perfect, less-residue brew. French Press
Every coffee lover knows that it’s the acid in coffee that gives the brew its distinct bright, vibrant, and delicious flavors. Although great for taste,
Starbucks is one of the most well-known names in the coffee industry, starting as a single store selling roasted coffee in Seattle and growing into
Nothing beats sipping on a pleasantly warm cup of coffee, soothing your mind, and making your mornings just a bit better. However, your favorite brew
For travel-hungry coffee lovers, being always on the move can be problematic because access to getting a great cup of coffee can be difficult, especially
Choosing coffee beans, blends, and grounds to coffee ratio is very important, especially if you are the type of person who likes to start their
Getting a coffee subscription will improve your mornings as long as you want to. However, if you sign up for the wrong one, you will
First thing in the morning and nobody wants a cold cup of coffee. You only want to stay at home and sip your favorite coffee
For coffee connoisseurs, coffee should always be fresh to fully enjoy its great flavors. Beans that have gone stale are like wasting precious consumables. But
One of the things that affect the coffee flavor and aroma of your favorite java comes from the brewing machine. While a flavorless or foul-tasting
A top-quality coffee maker is one of the best kitchen appliances you can have if you love the morning fix of your favorite cup of
Roasty fans today are interested in home coffee brewers. Some prefer to create their coffee beverages from scratch. They enjoy the convenience and speed it
You don’t need fancy expensive machines to get your favorite drinks or ideal brew. Pour over coffee drippers are the favorite coffee maker amongst coffee
Have you noticed the creamy top of your favorite espresso drinks like the latte, cappuccino, or cafe au lait? Have you ever wondered what it’s
The single-serve coffee maker comes in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and functionalities. These could be manual or fully automated, which allows people to
Being picky with your grinds is very common if you are a lover of great-tasting coffee. Sometimes, you would wish to grind your coffee, and an
Whenever you hear about the best stainless steel coffee maker, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Do you think it is a
Planning to start your café or coffee shop can be a daunting process. A lot of things just need to be planned out, and you
A lot of people love to get a cup of their favorite coffee drink while on their way to work. But to some, stopping at
Looking for a high end coffee maker that offers the best value for money? Our top five of the best high end coffee makers of 2019 is a great place to start!
The best coffee maker with grinder is an all-in-one coffee machine every coffee fan should have. Read on for the best brand and model coffee maker with grinder.
Indulge in the convenience of instant coffee without compromising quality, taste and health benefits. Read on the Best Instant Coffee of 2020.